Choosing the right outdoor sign for your business is crucial for the success, regardless of its location. When it comes to exterior signage, there are several factors to consider, such as size, shape, material, design, and whether it should be a lighted sign. However, the most important factor is to select a sign that accurately reflects your brand identity.
In today’s fast-paced world, great advertising meets your clients where they are, and more often than not, that place is outdoors. Whether people are driving on freeways, walking down the street, or commuting to work, they are constantly on the move. Therefore, promoting your brand in public spaces through outdoor advertising, also known as out-of-home advertising (OOH), is the best way to catch their attention.
When it comes to building signs, there is a wide variety available to suit the needs of any business. Let’s explore some popular options:
Adding depth and dimension to your building’s façade, dimensional letter signs use three-dimensional lettering or custom logos instead of flat panels. They can be made from various materials, including metal letters, plastic cut letters, or 3-D graphics. Dimensional letters are not only visually appealing and weather-resistant but also cost-effective, making them a great choice for businesses looking for high-quality signs on a tighter budget. When paired with spotlights, they create a visually stunning effect and ensure that your sign is visible even at night and during the evening hours.
Blade signs, also known as projecting signs, hanging signs, or flat panel signs, are an excellent choice for many businesses. These signs are mounted on a building’s wall or eave and are highly visible. They are ideal for strip malls, downtown businesses, and areas with high pedestrian traffic. Installing a blade sign in front of your business can significantly increase foot traffic and boost sales. Additionally, blade signs make it easier for drivers to see your business without having to turn their heads.
If you want your business to stand out, illuminated signs are an excellent choice. These signs are designed to be seen even at night or in low-light conditions, making them perfect for businesses that operate during those times. Illuminated signs are a necessity if your business is open at night, as they help people find and engage with your establishment. They provide high visibility day and night, ensuring that your brand message reaches a wider audience.
Channel letters are three-dimensional illuminated letters and graphics commonly seen on stores in shopping centers, restaurants, specialty stores, and various other business locations. Each letter is formed separately and given its own light source, creating an impressive effect that captivates potential customers. Channel letters can be custom-sized to fit any space, and their illuminated nature enhances their visibility, allowing your business to stand out among competitors.
Freestanding and typically located at the entrance of business parks, shopping malls, hotels, restaurants, or residential communities, monument signs are designed to make a lasting impression. These signs are often made from durable materials such as stone, brick, or concrete, giving them a more permanent look. Monument signs serve as a means to advertise your company name and logo to customers driving or walking by. Beyond their practical purposes, well-designed monument signs add aesthetic appeal to your property and leave a positive first impression on visitors.
Pylon signs, also known as pole signs, are tall and thin freestanding signs commonly used for advertising businesses or promoting special events. Their height makes them highly visible from a distance, allowing you to attract the attention of potential customers or passersby. Pylon signs can be supported by one or two poles and can be one-sided or double-sided. They can also be illuminated, ensuring visibility even at night. Shopping malls often utilize pylon signs to advertise the various stores within their premises. These signs are versatile and can be customized to fit your specific needs.
Factors to consider when choosing an outdoor sign
Choosing the right outdoor signage for your business involves careful consideration of several factors. Each sign is designed and created with its specific purpose in mind. Here are some essential points to keep in mind before making your selection:
- Material: Outdoor signs are available in various materials, and the choice can be overwhelming. Understanding the characteristics of different materials will help you make an informed decision. Consider the following options:
- Acrylic: Known for its durability, acrylic is resistant to rust, corrosion, water, chemicals, and UV rays. It is often used for illuminated signs.
- Aluminum: Lightweight yet long-lasting, aluminum can be molded into different shapes. However, its metallic sheen may affect visibility on sunny days.
- Corrugated Plastic: This cost-effective option is made of twin-wall plastic sheets resembling corrugated cardboard. It is suitable for short-term signages but may warp or bend over time.
- PVC: A versatile and durable material, PVC is commonly used for long-term outdoor signage, such as billboards.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is a versatile material used for various outdoor signages, including pole banners, floor graphics, vehicle wraps, and reflective stickers. It is lightweight, low maintenance, easy to store, and relatively affordable.
- Longevity: Determine how long you need your outdoor signage to last. If it’s for a short-term promotion, options like window clings and posters may be more suitable compared to long-lasting materials like retractable banners.
- Placement: Consider the location where your outdoor signage will be placed. The visibility and legibility of your sign from different distances are crucial factors. Property signs and real estate signs need to be easily readable from moving vehicles, while floor stickers and window clings should be vibrant enough to stand out. The International Sign Association provides guidelines for minimum required legibility distance for mounted signs.
- Maintenance: Outdoor signs require maintenance and occasional repairs or replacements over time. Investing in high-quality materials upfront can minimize these expenses. However, keep in mind that even the weather and climate can impact your sign’s lifespan. UV exposure, for example, can cause colors and graphics to degrade over time.
When it comes to an outdoor sign for your business, the options are endless. Each sign type offers unique benefits and can be customized to fit your specific needs. Remember to consider your brand identity, target audience, and location when selecting the perfect outdoor sign for your business. Investing in high-quality and visually appealing signage will undoubtedly contribute to your business’s success and help you stand out from the competition.