About a month an a half ago, I described what types of artwork files should be provided for your sign. As a follow up, I going to explain the sign design software that should be used for your artwork.
Earlier this week, we were provided “artwork” files which were in the form of Microsoft Word files. This is important: Microsoft Word is not meant for designing. It is not good sign design software. All images will be reduced in quality and you will not be happy with the end result.
We prefer vector images. There are a variety of types of sign design software that you can use to create good vector artwork.
- Adobe Illustrator – This is our preferred software, or at least my preferred software, and it’s probably considered the industry standard for working with vector graphics.
- FlexiSIGN-PRO – This is software that is commonly used for cutting vinyl. If you are looking for one-color window decals or a single-color banner, this is the one of the best tools out there as it is the program we use to cut your vinyl.
- CorelDRAW – This is another vector-based graphic software. It’s not as popular as Illustrator, and I haven’t used it before so I can’t tell you any more details about it.
- Inkscape – This is free software for working with vector art. Obviously you will probably still need some training or experience working with this type of software, but it is good to know that there is a free alternative. This is also software that I have no experience with.
Just some pointers, which have already been referenced in my previous post, but I would like to reiterate because they are important:
- Convert all type to outlines. If your type isn’t converted and we don’t have the font, we cannot make any pre-printing preparations if needed.
- Make sure your artwork is set to size for printing. If it’s not set to size, at least maintain the same ratio so we can size it properly without distortion
- Don’t use Microsoft Word, Excel or Powerpoint!
- If you feel like this is a little over your head, let us design something for you. Design time, within reason, is included in the cost! All we need is enough time to complete your artwork for you within your timeframe.
So, the next time you are wondering what sign design software to use, realize that Microsoft Word is not the answer. If you need help with designing your sign, come to SIGNARAMA Troy. We can help you design the sign that fits your company’s needs.