Since 1990 all carriers or operators of commercial motor vehicles that operate solely in the state of Michigan are required to have their USDOT number on their vehicles. At Signarama we understand many cities in Metro Detroit are enforcing this law on local businesses. We can help you avoid the costly ticket by following the guidelines below and installing your USDOT numbers in vinyl on your vehicle.
Who needs to obtain a Michigan Intrastate USDOT number?
A Commercial Motor Vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in commerce as defined in Act 181, PA 1963, CFR 49, part 390.5 when the vehicle:
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 lbs. or more, whichever is greater; or
- Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
- Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
- Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 51 transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter 1, subchapter C.
What are the requirements for lettering my vehicle?
49 CFR part 390.21 states the marking must display the following information:
- The legal name or a single trade name of the motor carrier operating the selfpropelled CMV, as listed on the motor carrier identification report (Form MCS–150)
- The motor carrier identification number issued by the FMCSA, preceded by the letters “USDOT”
- If the name of any person other than the operating carrier appears on the CMV, the name of the operating carrier must be followed by the information required in the above paragraphs, and be preceded by the words “operated by”
- Be in letters that contrast sharply in color with the background on which the letters are placed;
- Be readily legible, during daylight hours, from a distance of 50 feet (15.24 meters) while the CMV is stationary; and